Welcome to a new series where we feature our favorite free web tools and apps for language learners and teachers. This month we are highlighting Voki speaking avatars and presentation creation tool and iOS/Android app. Voki is a tool that language teachers and their learners can use to create animated characters that speak with different accents. Voki has 250 customizable speaking avatars and over 25 languages. You can also design animated presentations that showcase speaking avatars. Voki is easy to use for young language learners to adults and is a perfect tool for CLIL (Content and Language Integrated Learning). Find many lesson ideas for language learners when you login to Voki. Below are a list of 5 activities to support the learning needs of their students.
- Language learners can enhance their writing and speaking skills by writing scripts for their avatars.
- Language learners can enhance their listening skills by listening to teacher created presentations where they answer questions about what is being shared.
- Language learners can create a speech for historical characters and presidents. Voki features famous characters throughout history and even has animated characters of past US leaders.
- Language learners can share facts about animals by creating an animated talking animal. Voki has many different animals and students learn about habitats since they can upload their own drawings or images as backgrounds.
- Language learners can create characters that recite poetry, tell jokes, share facts they learned about a topic, or share quotes.
To learn more about integrating technology to support English language learners, attend our free Friday webinars.