Halloween is around the corner and children dress up as scary creatures and like to enjoy spooky related themes. We can engage our young learners this season by teaching English with themes, such as monsters, witches, wizards, hauntings and ghosts. Below are some resources to get you started with introducing these themes to your young language learners. For lesson ideas and activities, check out our webinar recordings, Halloween Activities for Language Learners and Halloween Activities for Young Language Learners.
- Find fun monster stories, games, and songs on Learn English Kids.
- Teach Your Monster to Read is a website that teaches young learners about phonics and reading.
- Your students will enjoy learning grammar by filling out this online Halloween fill-in story.
- PBS Kids and Primary Games has several fun Halloween learning games for kids.
- Children will enjoy drawing spooky creatures then animating their drawings with Blabberize website or the Chatterpix Kids apps.
- Students will enjoy coloring and decorating their own Jack-o-Lantern then watch it come to live in augmented reality with the free Quiver AR Coloring app.
- Very young children will enjoy learning how to spell and phonics with Halloween activities on Starfall.
- Your students will enjoy Halloween bingo, free Halloween themed flashcards, and crosswords on BogglesWorld ESL.
- Your young learners will enjoy creating their own spooky digital stories with LittleBirdTales, and Storybird. (comics or a book).
- Have your learners write a script for the Domo the monster silent videos. Your students can watch these short video clips from the funny monster and work in pairs to write a script.
- Moshi Monsters is a virtual world where children adopt a monster, play games, and take care of their pet monsters. They learn a lot of vocabulary.
- Find a pair speaking activity where students write a pretend magic potion and story here.
- Children can pretend they are wizards and create a magic spell book and potions here.
- Children can learn about the tradition of Trick or Treating and dressing up in costumes with this song from Genki English.