With technology, language learners have the ability to Finding readings for language learners is easy when integrating technology. Websites and apps support language learners by coloring the words Below, we have listed activity ideas and our favorite web tools and apps for creating word clouds. For ideas on how to effectively use these tools for learning, check out the webinar recording on How to Make Reading Fun for Young Learners and Inspiring Reading on Mobile Devices.
- Rewordify allows you to paste any text and simplifies the academic language. Register for free to access various free articles and the ability to create vocabulary exercises. Students are able to keep track of the vocabulary they’re learning and reading level.
- CommonLit provides access to fiction and nonfiction for 5th-12th grade classrooms. Search and filter our collection by lexile, grade, theme, genre, literary device, or common core standard.
- Sean Banville has 9 sites with over 4,000 short readings with pdfs to download full of class activities. On the sites, find audio recordings of the articles and online games for students. Some of the sites include famous people, breaking news and current events, movies, and Business English.
- Newsela has various articles with quizzes and a writing section. Search by grade and reading level.
- Reading ESL has various short readings, stories, and articles with grammar and vocabulary exercises.
Check out the Teaching with Technology Certification course we offer online.
Live TESOL webinars are presented every Friday at 4 PM EST or New York time with Shelly Terrell. TESOL Lectures are open to the public, so feel free to invite a friend. To enter a TESOL Webinar, click here https://americantesol.adobeconnect.com/terrell/. Next, click Enter as a Guest, type your name, and click Enter Room.