Chances are you will need to conduct research at some point related to your instructional practice. Many databases with research can be costly. Fortunately, a few journals offer free access online. The following is a list of these online journals, which provide free access to scholarly articles related to teaching English language learners. These can accompany presentations or support your own action research of methods used in the classroom. For resources related to helping your language learners conduct research online, check out our webinar recording, Researching Effectively with Language Learners.
To learn more about integrating technology to support English language learners, attend our free Friday webinars.
- TESOL Journal– Click to download and read pdfs of research articles collected by TESOL International’s official journal.
- IH Journal– Find online articles collected by the International House Journal of Education and Development. The database dates back to 1996.
- JALT Journal– This is the research journal of the Japan Association for Language Teaching, which is published semiannually, in May and November.
- MinneTESOL Journal– Find current research you can download as pdfs from the Minnesota Teachers of Speakers to Other Languages organization.
- TESL-EJ– Updated and current research articles collected by The Electronic Journal for English as a Second Language.
- Language Learning and Technology Journal– Online journal devoted to technology and language education research for foreign and second language educators.
- Eurasian Journal of Applied Linguistics– Scroll down to download pdfs of the articles of the most recent issue.
- ETAS Journal– Find articles hosted by the English Teachers Association in Switzerland. This database is kept current.
- CLC Web– Comparative Literature and Culture via Purdue University has an open access journal with peer reviewed articles. On the left side choose which issue to browse.
- LTL Journal– Find peer reviewed research articles collected by Literacy Teaching and Learning: An International Journal of Early Reading and Writing.
- JOLT– This is peer reviewed research from 2005 to 2015 conducted by the Journal of Online Learning and Teaching.
- The ALAN Review– This database has articles from 1994 to 2014 collected by the Assembly on Literature for Adolescents of the National Council of Teachers of English.
- Kairos– A refereed open-access online journal exploring the intersections of rhetoric, technology, and pedagogy.
- ILA Journals– Find a few free open access research articles collected by the International Literacy Association.
- Find a list of over 60 more open access research journals in this spreadsheet.
Check out the Teaching with Technology Certification course we offer online.
Live TESOL webinars are presented every Friday at 4 PM EST or New York time with Shelly Terrell. TESOL Lectures are open to the public, so feel free to invite a friend. To enter a TESOL Webinar, click here https://americantesol.adobeconnect.com/terrell/. Next, click Enter as a Guest, type your name, and click Enter Room.
Picture from Pixabay