Welcome to a new series where we feature great books for language learners and teachers. This month we are featuring the book, Passionate Readers: The Art of Reaching and Engaging Every Child, by Pernille Ripp. Pernille Ripp, a teacher and the founder of the Global Read Aloud project, shares five keys for creating a passionate reading experience for children. English language teachers will appreciate her references to one of our favorite linguists, Stephen Krashen, and his research on silent reading.
Pernille helps supports teachers with these awesome features:
- Each chapter has “Questions to Ponder” and “Ideas to Try”
to help teachers implement the ideas right away.
- A Reading Identity Challenge Survey to help students set reading goals.
- Suggestions and resources for deciding which books to buy, such as Scholastic catalogues and recommended websites.
- She also suggests comics, graphic novels, and audio books.
- She has recommended books for silent reading and ones for teaching decoding skills.
To learn more about integrating technology to support English language learners, attend our free Friday webinars.